Tesla introduced an early Christmas current for all these pre-dawn highway trippers: free vehicle charging at certain Supercharger locations when you get there earlier than 10AM (or after 7PM when you’re extra of a evening rider).
The announcement comes proper earlier than peak holiday journey season, when an estimated 100 million Individuals will likely be on the highway to go to household or mates. For these utilizing electrical vehicles, this will additionally imply delays at any of the almost 7,000 DC quick charging stations in the US as the nation continues constructing out its charging infrastructure.
For Tesla drivers, specifically, it’s fairly widespread to see delays at sure choke factors in routes which have fewer supercharging choices. And the downside might solely worsen ought to Tesla observe by means of on its plans to open up its community to non-Tesla EV homeowners.
Tesla’s answer to fight congestion this 12 months is to supply free off-peak charging. This deal is simply out there at 75 supercharging locations out of about 1,400 Tesla Supercharger locations in the US.
Most of the eligible stations are clustered in California, which accounted for more than half of all Tesla registrations in the US between April and June 2021. Lengthy strains are frequent at the state’s Supercharger stations, where wait times can exceed two hours.
PlugShare app route evaluating the well-covered I-95 hall to the ~200-mile stretch on routes 81 and 78 heading in direction of NYC from western PA.
Screenshot by Umar Shakir / The Verge
On the East Coast, solely three stations in Pennsylvania are eligible, positioned alongside an virtually 200-mile route resulting in New York Metropolis. Drivers utilizing this route typically hail from Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, and extra — hitting these “slower” V2 charging stations.
The next states and stations are free earlier than 10AM and after 7PM December twenty third by means of December twenty sixth:
- Arizona — Buckeye, Casa Grande, Ehrenberg, Gila Bend, Kingman, Quartzsite, Tacna, White Hills, Wickenburg, and Yuma.
- California — Baker, Bakersfield – Copus Street, Bakersfield – I-5, Barstow, Beaumont, Bishop, Buttonwillow, Cabazon, Corning, El Centro, Firebaugh, Gustine, Harris Ranch, Indio, Inyokern, Inyokern – Locust Avenue, Kettleman Metropolis, Kettleman Metropolis – Bernard Drive, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, Mojave, Mount Shasta – 111 Morgan Means, Mount Shasta – 134 Morgan Means, Needles, Palm Springs, Patterson – Speno Dr, Rancho Mirage, Purple Bluff – Belle Mill Street, Tejon Ranch, Tejon Ranch – Shops at Tejon Pkwy, Williams – sixth Road, Yermo, and Yreka.
- Colorado — Trinidad.
- Florida — Gainesville, Lake Metropolis, and Ocala.
- Nevada — Henderson, Las Vegas – Bridger Avenue, Las Vegas – Grand Central Parkway, Las Vegas – Excessive Curler at LINQ, Las Vegas – Las Vegas Blvd South, Mesquite, and Primm.
- New Mexico — Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and Santa Fe.
- Oklahoma — Ardmore and Oklahoma Metropolis.
- Oregon — Grants Move, Medford, Myrtle Creek, and Springfield – Kruse Means.
- Pennsylvania — Allentown, Carlisle, and Harrisburg.
- Texas — Denton.
- Utah — Beaver, Beaver – 525 W, Cedar Metropolis, Draper, Nephi, St. George, St. George – Conference Middle Drive, and Tremonton.