1. When Stephen A. Smith appeared on the SI Media Podcast last September, I requested him whether or not it was truthful or unfair to characterize what he does on First Take every day as “efficiency artwork.”
“I don’t give it some thought that method,” he responded. “I’m not gonna say it’s unfair. I can perceive that interpretation. I might let you know that we’re in a personality-driven enterprise. The ‘E’ in ESPN stands for leisure. I get that a part of it. It doesn’t offend me within the slightest. My largest factor is simply ensuring, simply don’t overlook my resume. That’s what I inform folks. Even the critics and cynics. Don’t overlook my résumé.”
Effectively, I’m glad Smith doesn’t get offended by the performance-art characterization as a result of he gave an all-time efficiency Wednesday whereas debating Jay Williams about Kyrie Irving.
As is usually the case on scorching take reveals, the panelists had been all over. The dialog started with Stephen A. questioning Williams for saying the Nets shouldn’t attempt to get house court docket benefit within the playoffs as a result of the unvaccinated Irving wouldn’t be allowed to play in Brooklyn due to New York State’s vaccine mandate. The dialog ended with Williams accusing Smith of attacking Irving. And in between, Stephen A. regularly flustered Williams with one liners and common snarkiness.
Let me attempt to summarize the nine-minute back-and-forth.
During the primary 90 seconds, Williams makes an attempt to put out his principle on why the Nets can be wonderful with out house court docket benefit. Stephen A. then goes proper into efficiency mode and asks, very slowly, in a voice that was barely above a whisper, if Williams is advocating for the Nets to lose video games.
An already flustered Williams then requested for some water.
This prompted Smith to taunt Williams, saying, “I like the truth that that is irritating you.”
Williams then asks Smith some questions in regards to the Nets’ state of affairs. As a substitute of answering them, Smith accuses Williams of “turning into Mike Wallace or Ed Bradley.”
Smith then makes use of the phrase, “the part-time participant that’s Kyrie Irving.”
This actually bought to Williams who fired again, “You’re so fixated on the ‘part-time’.”
Williams then mentioned he was “upset” in Smith for saying it will be horrible for basketball if the Nets gained a title this yr and that he would pray for Smith.
Williams then tried to mess with Smith by mocking him for utilizing the world
“capitulated,” which led to Smith saying, “I didn’t go to Duke, however I’m clever.”
Williams was so rattled at this level he took off his sports activities jacket and bought private with Stephen A, saying, “You begin this sort of stuff.”
He additionally mentioned Smith’s bashing of Kyrie has grow to be “a giant subject” for Williams. “You’re attacking this man’s character left and proper day by day,” mentioned Williams.
This set off Smith, who went into full yelling mode, saying, “I don’t give a rattling if it’s a giant subject with you. I don’t give a rattling for those who discuss it each morning. I don’t give a rattling what you suppose I take into consideration Kyrie Irving. I spit details. FACTS!”
Williams countered that with, “Simply because Stephen A. yells it doesn’t make it proper.”
The battle concluded with the present’s cohost, Molly Qerim, telling Williams the phase needed to finish as a result of he was attributable to make a radio look, which led to Williams accusing Smith of setting him up.
What a roller-coaster experience. Strap your self in and get pleasure from it.
2. A brand new SI Media Podcast dropped Thursday, and this week’s visitor is Jim Nantz. Matters coated embody calling finish of the wild Niners-Cowboys’ wild-card sport, the QB who he thinks can be an enormous TV star, his philosophy on working with Tony Romo, John Madden reminiscences, why he likes sporting CBS sports activities coat and far more.
3. “This a giant, goofy-ass dude at quarterback.” Payments security Jordan Poyer was miked up for the crew’s blowout playoff win towards the Patriots, and he could not cease speaking about quarterback Josh Allen.
4. You’ll have seen the story over the weekend about Bengals coach Zac Taylor celebrating the crew’s wild-card win over the Raiders by giving a sport ball to followers at an area bar. In line with Bengals tight finish C.J. Uzomah the 38-year-old Taylor was truly carded earlier than being allowed into that bar.
5. Giannis cracking himself up whereas telling an terrible joke is simply so endearing.
6. Pepsi has launched a trailer for this yr’s Tremendous Bowl halftime present that includes Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: West Virginia reporter Tori Yorgey was hit by a automotive on reside TV Wednesday, which someway didn’t generate a lot of a response from the studio anchor she was talking with on the time.
Remember to make amends for previous editions of Traina Ideas and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. It’s also possible to comply with Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.