1. It’s been about six months since fashionable SportsCenter anchor Kenny Mayne and ESPN parted methods after the corporate requested him to take a 61% pay reduce.
On this week’s SI Media Podcast, I requested Mayne whether or not he felt the identical manner about his departure at this time as he did within the early months after it occurred.
“That’s arduous to quantify,” Mayne stated. “It’s an important query, however I don’t know if I can reply it. I believe I really feel higher about leaving as a result of I do know that all of it turned out O.Ok. for me and my household.
“On the time, I was kinda working on excessive vitality. Gretchen [Mayne’s wife] known as it the ‘Kenny Mayne Ego Tour’ as I was getting all these podcasts requests and whatnot. She’s in all probability right. There’s in all probability one thing to that. However I didn’t invite it. I wasn’t out saying, ‘Hey, put me on.’ Like I stated, I don’t have anyone fronting for me. Possibly I’d be smarter if I did.
“I really feel high quality with it and my story stays the identical. Really, there’s no malice. I’ve so many associates, I keep in contact with a lot of the identical ones, I play golf with a bunch of them nonetheless, I’m nonetheless in Connecticut. And I want them properly. I watch Monday Night time Soccer. I’m not boycotting ESPN.”
Mayne continued, “They’d have to elucidate their facet. I can’t clarify their facet, I can solely clarify my facet, which was they made an offer for me to remain, and stated all of the right issues, ‘You’re beneficial, and we wish you to remain, and it could be powerful if you happen to left,’ and all that type of stuff. However they arrange a state of affairs that I believe they knew, I was going to be like, ‘There’s no center floor to this, it’s this or depart?’
“So I left. And I don’t remorse it. They made a enterprise resolution that they wanted to chop again and earn more money for Disney, and I was one of many casualties of the wage cap scenario. Oh, properly.”
I then requested Mayne whether or not his disappointment stage with ESPN for not negotiating was the identical at this time because it was in Might.
“Once more, I am going out of my technique to qualify my solutions. I’m not right here to bash ESPN; I’m not. They determined, whoever ‘they’ are, I assume it was Jimmy [Pitaro, president] and Norby [Williamson, executive vice president], the highest individuals, ‘All right, right here’s our price range, right here’s what we’re paying totally different individuals to do various things. Oh God, he’s making this a lot? Let’s reduce him by 61% and have him hold doing late evening, , Cubs-Marlins video games.‘ Or, come to the center if there’s a center floor.
“However they requested, ‘So that you’re positively saying no? You aren’t accepting this offer?’ I stated, ‘Properly, not because it stands.’ That’s type of an open door; I’d have possibly, possibly not listened to one thing. And I’m glad I didn’t as a result of what if that they had solely reduce it by 28% or one thing? I might need stayed, as a result of that was some huge cash.
“I’ve received 4 daughters, I received remarried, and we’ve received two every, so 4 collectively, two in school, one graduated, one’s gonna go. We’ve received overhead nonetheless. And I don’t really feel that outdated; I really feel I can nonetheless do extra issues. I’m not able to retire.
“It was the right move for everyone. They saved some cash. I changed it with Caesars and the opposite issues I’m doing. All people did O.Ok.”
Did Mayne suppose on the time that everyone can be O.Ok.?
“I didn’t know,” he stated. “I had a great quantity of confidence and the incoming calls shortly led me to imagine that is gonna end up O.Ok. I had no concept that many individuals would care, interval.”
Many different subjects had been lined with Mayne throughout his look on the SI Media Podcast.
• Getting in hassle with ESPN higher-ups over political tweets.
• Navigating post-ESPN life with out an agent.
• What he texted Aaron Rodgers after the Packers quarterback received COVID-19.
• Whether or not a every day sports-themed comedy present can work.
You may as well watch the SI Media Podcast on YouTube.
2. For those who listened to last week’s SI Media Podcast with The Ringer‘s Kevin Clark, we spent an honest period of time discussing Invoice Belichick and the super job he has carried out with the Patriots this season. It appears everybody else is beginning to take discover, too.
3. Talking of the Patriots, that is classic Invoice Belichick after the Falcons scored zero factors final evening.
4. At 4–6 and in seventh place within the Huge 12, this video beneath is the spotlight of the Texas Longhorns season.
5. Final Saturday, Kansas upset Texas, 57–56 in time beyond regulation, due to fullback Jared Casey catching the game-winning 2-point conversion move.
Now, Casey is starring in a must-watch business simply launched yesterday.
6. For those who’re a WWE fan and missed this final evening, you will need to test it out now. Famous person Drake Maverick was certainly one of a number of roster cuts that got here down Thursday, and he shortly went viral for this response video.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: Right now is the 10-year anniversary of Lee Corso’s biggest second on School GameDay.
Be sure you compensate for previous editions of Traina Ideas and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. You may as well observe Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.