Jake Ehlinger’s household launched a press release Thursday regarding their son’s loss of life, saying it was an “accidental overdose.”
“In the present day we’re unhappy to share that we have now realized that Jake was a sufferer of an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with poisonous medicine together with lethal Fentanyl,” the statement said, in part. “The unfold of counterfeit drugs is an ongoing and important concern all through our nation, significantly in faculties, faculties, and universities.”
Ehlinger was the youthful brother of former Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger, who was chosen by the Colts within the sixth spherical of the NFL draft. Jake walked on at Texas in 2019, and practiced alongside his brother. Nonetheless, he didn’t obtain any enjoying time throughout his two seasons with the Longhorns, and selected to redshirt the 2020 season.
The previous Texas linebacker was discovered useless off campus on Might 6, and was 20-years-old. Police say they acquired a name about an incident at 12:18 p.m. The youthful Ehlinger was discovered shortly after on the 1200 block of West twenty second Road.
“As our household continues to course of Jake’s loss of life, we felt it was vital to share these particulars with the hope that Jake is not going to have died in useless,” the assertion continued. “We pray that sharing Jake’s story will assist make clear this downside and forestall different households from additionally tragically shedding a cherished one.”
Jake’s loss of life was the second loss of life within the final decade of an instantaneous member of the family the Ehlingers have confronted. Jake and Sam’s father, Ross, died unexpectedly in the course of the 2013 “Escape from Alcatraz” triathlon in San Francisco. Race officers stated the Austin legal professional suffered a coronary heart assault shortly after the beginning.
“Our hearts are damaged, and we’re nonetheless grieving over the loss of our son and brother, Jake,” the household assertion learn. “We’ve been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and assist acquired since his premature passing in Might. We sincerely thank everybody who has reached out.”