Whereas Slack started as a office instant-messaging software, over the previous few years it has grow to be common as a approach for anybody to maintain in contact with a bunch of buddies, colleagues, or household. It now even gives a approach for teams to create in-the-moment “huddles,” in which two or extra individuals can transfer from textual content to audio — in the event you’re on a paid plan.
Though Slack is basically meant for group collaboration, it additionally has instruments in the event you simply need to chat one-on-one with any individual. Right here, we’re going to go over among the methods you’ll be able to have a private textual content, audio, or video dialog with one different particular person by way of the free model of Slack.
Textual content conversations
Utilizing the Slack desktop app:
- Should you’ve just lately despatched a private message to somebody, you’ll discover their identify in the left-hand sidebar underneath “Direct messages.” Click on on their identify, sort your message in the field on the backside and press enter / return to send.
- If the identify will not be in the sidebar, click on the + subsequent to “Direct messages.” Kind in the identify of the particular person you need to send a message to. As you sort, the particular person’s identify will come up in the outcomes (assuming they’re in that Slack workspace) and you’ll be able to click on on it. Kind your message in the field on the backside and press enter / return to send.
- You may also begin a message by clicking the pencil icon in the highest left nook of the display subsequent to your workspace and username. Enter the identify of the particular person you need to message in the bar on the high. Write the message in the field on the backside of the display and press enter or return to send.
To start out a one-to-one dialog, click on on the pencil icon on the high of the left column.
Utilizing the cell app:
If you need to proceed a earlier dialog, or discover somebody you’ve already conversed with, faucet on “DMs” on the underside of the display to discover a historical past of your direct messages.
You may also faucet the pencil image on the backside of the Residence display. It will carry up the “New Message” display with a listing of individuals you’ve beforehand messaged with; both choose a type of, or sort in the identify of an individual you need to send a direct message to.
Slack additionally has a built-in calling characteristic. On the free version, you are able to do voice and video calls, however solely with one different particular person. You probably have a subscription to one among Slack’s paid plans, you may as well do group calls with up to 15 people and share your display on a video name.
Utilizing the Slack desktop app:
- Open up a direct message or a channel
- Within the high proper nook, click on on the telephone icon
The telephone icon in the higher proper nook will allow you to start an audio chat.
- Click on the digital camera icon to begin video. Should you’re on a paid plan, you should use the “Share Display screen” icon as properly.
As soon as in an audio chat, faucet on the digital camera image to flip it right into a video chat.
Utilizing a cell app:
- Start a direct message with the particular person you need to converse with
- Should you’re utilizing an Android machine, faucet on the knowledge icon on the higher proper. Should you’re utilizing an iPhone, faucet on the particular person’s identify on the high of the web page.
- Faucet the decision icon to begin a name (the particular person will get a notification that any individual is making an attempt to name them)
- If you need to make it a video name, faucet the digital camera icon
Within the cell app, choose “Name…” and then, in order for you video, faucet on the digital camera icon.
Final spring, Slack launched Huddles, that are meant to be audio conversations which you can instantly soar into throughout a textual content dialog with a number of individuals (as opposed to the audio calls, that are only a bit extra formal). Sadly, they’re solely out there when you have a paid account.
Should you do, it’s quite simple to begin a Huddle. (Notice: you’ll be able to create a Huddle with a single particular person, a bunch of individuals, or a channel; for this explicit article, we’ll consider one-to-one conversations.)
Utilizing the desktop app:
- Be sure you’re in a textual content dialog with the particular person you need to huddle with
- On the backside of the left column, there would be the Huddle icon on the left of the particular person’s identify (it’ll appear like a broadcasting mic) and a toggle on the appropriate. Use that to toggle the Huddle characteristic on, and it’s best to instantly have the ability to converse.
Use the Huddle icon for immediate audio dialog.
Should you’re utilizing the desktop app, you’ll be able to add working captions throughout a Huddle.
- Whilst you’re speaking, simply above the Huddle icon, you will note textual content telling you who’s talking, and beneath that, textual content saying how many individuals are in the Huddle. Click on on that second line.
- A pop-up will present you who’s in the Huddle; the particular person talking can be highlighted. Click on on the three dots in the higher proper nook.
Faucet on the strains above the icons to carry up a pop-up.
- Click on on “Activate captions”
Faucet on the three dots, and “Activate captions”.
- You’ll get a bigger pop-up field that can present captions for the dialog.
Now you could have captions in your audio dialog.
Whereas there was an occasional hiccup when two individuals spoke concurrently, we discovered the captions had been largely correct.
Lastly, you’ll be able to share your display throughout a Huddle by clicking on the monitor icon to the left of the toggle.
Utilizing the cell app:
- Be sure you’re in a textual content dialog with the particular person you need to Huddle with
- Faucet on the Huddle icon on the highest line, to the appropriate of the particular person’s identify
You may also Huddle utilizing Slack’s cell app.
The cell app doesn’t but have sharing or captioning.
And that’s it! Sadly, the captioning and screen-share options aren’t out there on the cell app.