Ever since LastPass introduced that it was tweaking its free tier to solely permit a single class of machine — cellular or laptop — there’s been a variety of curiosity find options amongst LastPass customers. Fortunately, when you do discover another, it’s fairly straightforward to pull your knowledge from LastPass and add it to another password manager.
What follows are directions on how to obtain your LastPass knowledge, and the place to discover directions from a number of fashionable password managers that may allow you to add that knowledge to their providers.
Export your LastPass knowledge
LastPass permits you to export your knowledge as a CSV or an XML file. When you’re planning to move that knowledge to another service, then CSV is the much better selection. Since CSV stands for comma-separated values and is a plain textual content file, it’s a good suggestion not to maintain on to it when you’ve moved your knowledge to another password manager — or to put that file in a safe place the place it could’t be simply learn by another person.
Earlier than you begin, you have to be conscious that one of the best (and actually solely means) you possibly can export your knowledge from LastPass is from its browser extension on a desktop or laptop computer laptop. (You’ll be able to technically do it from LastPass’ web site, however as I’ll clarify, it’s extra bother than it’s price.) When you haven’t downloaded the extension on your browser (hyperlinks for that are on the backside of the LastPass webpage), go forward.
- Click on your extension icon and proceed to “Account Choices” > “Superior” > “Export” > “LastPass CSV File”
- You’ll be requested to put in your grasp password to proceed. When you suppose you could be interrupted in some unspecified time in the future, and you’re working in a protected place (like a house workplace), be happy to ask it not to immediate you once more for up to 24 hours.
Fill in your grasp password to obtain your knowledge.
That’s it! LastPass will instantly obtain your CSV file.
When you actually, actually don’t need to set up the browser extension, right here’s how one can get your data from the LastPass web site”
- Go to LastPass.com and check in to your account.
- Click on on “Superior Choices” within the left-hand menu.
- Click on on “Export” and enter your Grasp Password if requested.
- In case your expertise is something like mine, you need to then see a comma-delimited record of all of your passwords on a separate webpage. You’ll be able to choose all of the content material of the web page by going to your high menu and choosing “Edit” > “Choose All.” You’ll be able to then copy the information and paste it to a textual content web page utilizing a phrase processor or different textual content app.
When you’ve downloaded your data, you possibly can add it to the password manager of your selection. There are a selection on the market, free and in any other case, and we’ve included a sampling under, together with their beginning costs (if any) and hyperlinks to their directions on how to import your knowledge. However first, we’re assuming that you just’ll need to ultimately delete your passwords from LastPass. Right here’s how.
Delete your LastPass account
When you’ve chosen your new password manager (and we strongly success you reside with it for at the least every week or so first), you possibly can delete your account and knowledge from LastPass.
The LastPass “Delete Your Account” web page.
- Click on on the crimson “Delete” button.
- The place you go from right here depends upon whether or not you bear in mind your grasp password. When you do bear in mind it, click on on “Sure.” You’ll be given one final probability to obtain your knowledge, will likely be requested to enter your grasp password, and requested why you’re deleting your account. Then click on on Delete.
Earlier than you delete your account, you get a final probability to obtain your knowledge.
- When you don’t bear in mind your grasp password, click on on “No.” You’ll be given an opportunity to obtain your knowledge and requested on your e-mail handle. You’ll be despatched an e-mail with a hyperlink that may allow you to delete the account.
In both case, bear in mind there is no such thing as a rush to delete your account. Just remember to have a useable copy of your passwords and a brand new password manager that you just’re happy with first.
Different password managers
What follows is a listing of some different password managers and the place you will discover directions for importing your LastPass knowledge.
- Free model? Sure
- Paid options begin at $2.50 / month and embrace encrypted storage, further password sharing, emergency entry, reside password tracker, others.
- Instructions for importing from LastPass
- Free model? Sure
- Paid options begin at $23.88 / 12 months and embrace syncing throughout gadgets, cloud backup, two-factor authorization, shared folder, and others.
- Instructions for importing CSV files. (Notice: RoboForm has particular directions for importing LastPass information to Windows and Mac programs; nevertheless, they embrace statements that separate apps are wanted to export knowledge from LastPass, which is now not the case.)
- Free model? Sure
- Paid options begin at $10.80 / 12 months and embrace safe password sharing, password expiration alerts, cloud backup, and others.
- Instructions for importing CSV files