If you happen to’ve up to date your PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11, you’ll have seen that whenever you click on on a hyperlink for a web site, a PDF doc, or a wide range of different file varieties, you’ll now be despatched to Microsoft’s Edge browser. In its new model of Windows, Microsoft appears to have turn out to be particularly aggressive in pushing its personal apps over the apps that had been put in as defaults earlier than the improve. In different phrases, Edge all of the sudden turned your default browser.
Usually, the primary time you go into one other browser that isn’t Edge — say, Google Chrome — the not-Edge browser will ask should you’d like to make it the default as an alternative. Nevertheless, the method for altering your defaults in Windows 11 has turn out to be extra difficult than it was in Windows 10. So it’s possible you’ll not get that helpful request — or should you do, it could land you on a complicated-looking web page headed “App > Default apps.” Both approach, right here’s how to swap.
Swap default browsers
If you happen to don’t need Edge to be your default browser, and your favourite browser isn’t providing to make the change for you — or if it did provide however as an alternative despatched you to the “Default apps” web page — right here’s how to swap the default. For this instance, I’m utilizing Google Chrome, however this could work with any browser that you’ve put in on your system.
- Choose Settings > Apps > Default apps
- Beneath “Set defaults for purposes,” both scroll down to the place your most popular browser is listed or sort the title in the “Search apps” subject. Click on on the app.
Switching browsers means associating every file sort with your new browser.
- You’ll see a listing of browser-related recordsdata, and underneath every file title, the app with which it’s presently related. In Windows 11, you’ll be able to’t merely change your default browser with a single click on — you’ve gotten to change the assigned browser for each particular file sort.
- Search for the file varieties assigned to Edge, similar to .HTM, .HTML, HTTP, HTTPS, and maybe .PDF (until you’ve gotten a PDF reader you favor). Click on on those you need to change.
If you first click on on a file sort, Windows might attempt to discourage any adjustments.
- Chances are you’ll get a “Earlier than you turn” pop-up urging you to attempt Microsoft Edge — go forward and click on on “Swap anyway.” You’ll get a pop-up with a “Maintain utilizing this app” choice on high and your different put in browsers beneath. Go forward and choose the one you need to use. (Remember that there could also be some file varieties that gained’t provide your browser in its place.)
You’ll be able to change every file sort for an applicable put in app.
Observe: by the point you learn this, some browsers might have instituted a system for letting you extra simply swap your default browser. For instance, when this was written, the primary time I opened Firefox, it requested if I needed it to turn out to be the default. I let it go forward, and once I went to the “Default apps” part of setup, I discovered that Firefox was now set because the default for .HTM, .HTML, .HTTP, and .HTTPS recordsdata. Edge was nonetheless listed for .PDF, .SHTML, .SVG, .XHT, and .XHTML recordsdata.
The Firefox default wizard switches some — however not all — of the browser file settings.
Yet one more factor: should you do open Edge for any motive, you’ll get the anticipated pop-up urging you to return to “really useful browser settings.”
That gained’t remedy every thing
However wait — there’s extra. Even after you turn your browser default to one thing apart from Edge, you’re nonetheless going to get Edge because the favored browser for numerous Windows apps. For instance, convey up Windows 11’s new Widget pane (by clicking on the Widgets icon in your taskbar, the one that appears like a two-paned window), and click on on one of many information gadgets that seem there — and the hyperlink will open Edge.
If you happen to discover that irritating, there could also be an app for that. So as to open Edge-specific hyperlinks, you want to do the next:
- Go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps.
- Scroll down to the underside till you see “Select defaults by hyperlink sort.”
- Beneath the label “Microsoft-Edge, you’ll see “Microsoft Edge.” Click on on that, and also you’ll see another browsers that you should utilize to open these specialised hyperlinks.
(*11*)Click on on that after which in the search field labeled “Set defaults for hyperlink varieties,” sort “Edge.”
Curiously, should you set up Chrome or Firefox, you gained’t see them as selections. However should you set up the Courageous browser, you will note it as an choice — and if you choose that, then everytime you click on on a information hyperlink in the Widget pane, it’ll come up in Courageous.
You’ll be able to set the Courageous browser to open widget hyperlinks.
One other chance is a instrument known as EdgeDeflector that was initially created to intercept any hyperlinks in Windows 10 that have been Edge-specific and rewrite them on the fly in order that they are often opened by the default net browser. I did slightly searching and skim that its newest model, v18.104.22.168, would work with Windows 11.
I put in and followed the directions for setup. Sadly, whereas that labored for many hyperlinks, once I clicked on a hyperlink from the information sources in the Widgets pane, it didn’t fairly work — the hyperlink opened in Chrome, however not one of the graphics got here by means of. I’d keep watch over this app, although…
Replace October eighth, 2021, 1:10PM ET: What occurs when some browsers provide to swap your defaults has been clarified.
Replace October tenth, 2021, 10:30AM ET: Up to date to embody instructions for permitting the Courageous browser to open sure specialised Windows hyperlinks.
Replace November fifteenth, 2021 5:00PM ET: Added be aware about Microsoft blocking EdgeDeflector.