That was ugly
Has a prime seed ever been embarrassed as completely because the Sixers had been on Wednesday evening in opposition to the Hawks?
Philadelphia appeared to have Recreation 5 within the bag after it constructed a 26-point lead late within the first half behind the robust play of Joel Embiid and Seth Curry, however it all got here crumbling down in spectacular style. The Sixers led by 25 late within the third quarter after which bought outscored 53–23 over the ultimate 16 minutes to lose 109–106. It was a surprising collapse, and now the Sixers will head to Atlanta on Friday dealing with elimination.
To say the loss was historic isn’t overselling it. Listed here are a couple of stats for instance that.
- 26 factors is the biggest blown lead in Sixers playoff history.
- The Sixers’ win likelihood was a staggering 99.7% late in the third quarter.
- 99.7% was the identical win likelihood the Falcons had once they led 28–3 over the Patriots in Super Bowl LI.
- Joel Embiid and Seth Curry had been the one Philly gamers to hit a shot from the ground within the second half. It was the one time prior to now 15 postseasons that two gamers accounted for all of their team’s field goals in a half.
- The Hawks additionally erased an 18-point deficit to win Recreation 4. Previously 25 years, Atlanta was 0–41 after falling behind by 18. It simply accomplished 18-point comebacks in back-to-back video games.
- The Sixers are the one crew prior to now 25 postseasons to blow 18-point leads in consecutive games.
- The Hawks’ comeback from a 22-point halftime deficit is the largest ever in a playoff game after the first round.
Ben Simmons is drawing the majority of the criticism, and for good purpose. He was horrible from the foul line (2-for-6 within the second half, 4-for-14 general) and is taking pictures 32.3% on free throws this postseason. (In recorded NBA historical past, only Ben Wallace has had a poorer postseason from the charity stripe.) However if you solely have two guys hitting photographs within the second half, the issues clearly run deeper than that.
The very best of SI
Breaking down every little thing that occurred on a busy day of NBA information. … The within story of how the 12-team School Soccer Playoff got here to be. … Simply showing on the Euros is a serious accomplishment for Finland.
Across the sports activities world
Gerrit Cole urged MLB to “please just talk to us” about the use of grip enhancers. … Christian Eriksen will have a type of pacemaker implanted. … Vikings coach Mike Zimmer ran down all the ways life will be more difficult this season for players who haven’t been vaccinated.
This man is fascinating
LeBron sounds off on the rash of NBA accidents
On the Defensive Participant of the 12 months!
It seems horrifying however apparently he’s just fine
Nice passing, nice shot
Make him go well with up
At Coors, however nonetheless
Ohtani continues to mash
Take a look at the hustle by this man
Not sports activities
The world’s third-largest diamond was unearthed in Botswana. … Antidepressants leaking into the water supply may make crawfish more aggressive. … A girl in Scotland is believed to be the country’s only living great-great-great-grandmother.
A great tune
E-mail [email protected] with any suggestions or follow me on Twitter for about one half-decent baseball joke per week. Bookmark this web page to see earlier editions of Sizzling Clicks and discover the latest version day-after-day. By common request I’ve made a Spotify playlist of the music featured here. Go to our Extra Mustard page all through every day for extra offbeat sports activities tales.