1000’s more flights scrapped
Greater than 3,500 flights have been cancelled on Monday and Tuesday inflicting widespread disruptions for travellers everywhere in the world as airways crews succumb to the Omicron Covid pressure.
In response to flight tracker FlightAware, 2,700 flights have been cancelled on Monday and 860 more on Tuesday.
In complete, 11,000 flights have been cancelled since Friday due to the impression on crews, though dangerous climate has additionally performed a component in cancellations in the US.
In more travel distress, the US Centre for Illness Management mentioned on Monday it was investigating 68 cruise ships after reviews of Covid-19 circumstances on board.
Good morning/afternoon/night to you wherever you is likely to be and welcome to our rolling protection of the coronavirus pandemic.
Right here’s a abstract of the principle developments:
- 1000’s more flights have been cancelled by airways world wide, inflicting chaotic scenes at airports at one of many busiest instances of the 12 months for travel. Carriers scrapped 2,700 flights on Monday and an extra 800 have already been dropped from Tuesday’s schedules. Dr Anthony Fauci mentioned a vaccine mandate ought to be thought of for all passengers in the US.
- Boris Johnson won’t introduce additional Covid restrictions in England earlier than 2022, giving mass occasions the go-ahead and leaving nightclubs open for New Yr’s Eve – in distinction with devolved governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Eire. Scientists mentioned it was “the best divergence between scientific recommendation and laws” seen for the reason that begin of the pandemic.
- The US Centre for Illness Management has lowered the really helpful isolation time for individuals recording a constructive take a look at from 10 days to 5. The CDC mentioned these adjustments mirror the newest knowledge on when the virus is most contagious.
- Joe Biden mentioned the dramatic surge in US Covid circumstances attributable to the Omicron variant “ought to be a supply of concern however it shouldn’t be a supply of panic”.
- France has narrowed the delay for a 3rd booster shot to a few months from 4 in response to the fast unfold of Omicron however there shall be no curfew for New Yr’s Eve. From Monday, all indoor gatherings shall be restricted to 2,000 individuals, and to five,000 individuals for outside occasions. Consumption of drinks and meals shall be banned in long-distance transport and residential working will change into necessary for not less than three days per week the place attainable.
- Denmark and Iceland reported report each day Covid circumstances on Monday. Denmark now has the world’s highest an infection fee, with 1,612 circumstances per 100,000 individuals.
- The variety of sufferers in England admitted into hospital with Covid-19 has reached its highest degree since mid-February after a 74% rise in every week. In London, hospital admissions have elevated by 73%. A complete of 8,474 individuals have been in hospital in England with Covid-19 as of 8am right this moment – the very best quantity since 5 March.
- Scotland has recorded a report variety of Covid circumstances over the Christmas weekend, hitting a excessive of 11,030 new circumstances on Boxing Day, the Scottish authorities has mentioned. Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, is because of replace a specially-reconvened sitting of the Scottish parliament on Wednesday in regards to the unfold of the virus and the impression on hospitals.
- Paraguay has confirmed the nation’s first Omicron circumstances, well being officers mentioned. The circumstances have been detected in individuals who had travelled outdoors the nation this month however the authorities has not taken fast motion on travel. Argentina reported its highest each day tally for six months with 20,263 circumstances.
- Greece has introduced additional restrictions efficient between 3 and 16 January to include an extra surge in Covid infections. Bars and eating places must shut at midnight and no standing prospects at leisure venues shall be allowed. There may also be a most restrict of six individuals per desk.